Just Fine Wine wants to provide you with an exceptional craft winemaking experience each and every time you come through our doors. A big part of that is providing our clients with the very best handcrafted wines available on the market. This is why we exclusively use Winexpert products and offer you a 100% satisfaction guarantee on every Winexpert wine kit made on-premise. Just Fine Wine has over one hundred varietals and styles to choose from, sourced from around the globe. With such a wide variety, we always enjoy finding out which of these wines you, our loyal and supportive clients, have enjoyed the most over the course of the previous calendar year. Once again we have added up the numbers from 2017 and present to you your top ten wines of 2017*:
|Wine||2017||2016||2015||2014||2013||2012|| Times In
Top 10 **
|Selection California Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot||T9||8||7||9||7||9||9|
|Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon||T9||–||–||–||–||–||1|
|Eclipse New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc||8||–||9||–||–||–||2|
|Eclipse Barossa Valley Shiraz||7||–||–||10||–||–||2|
|Eclipse French Nocturnal||6||–||–||–||–||–||1|
|Selection Italian Pinot Grigio||5||3||T3||2||3||3||9|
|Selection Argentine Malbec w/Grape Skins||4||–||–||–||–||–||1|
|Vintners Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon||3||6||5||–||–||–||3|
|World Vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio||2||2||T3||T5||5||5||9|
|Eclipse Napa Valley Stag’s Leap District Merlot||1||1||1||1||1||1||9|
*Wines are listed in descending order with the previous years’ rankings included.
**Total Number of Appearances in the Top Ten Since tracking was started in 2009 (the maximum number of appearances is 9)
“-” Not Ranked That Year
“T9” Tied for Ninth
Points of Interest:
- Up until the last year, the top four most popular wines had remained relatively constant since we started tracking in 2009. 2015 saw stalwart top 5, Eclipse Italian Piedmont Nebbiolo (Barolo), drop right out of the top ten and this year it was joined by perennial top 3 favourite, Selection Luna Rossa, that fell off the list completely. These wines remain as delicious as ever and sales remain strong for both making them both a good bet to return to the top ten in the future.
- For the first time, last year’s “short run” Eclipse offering (Nocturnal – a blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Cinsaut from Langueduc, France) cracked the top ten. Both of the previous “short run” Eclipse releases had extremely strong showings but weren’t able to accomplish what Nocturnal did last year. It speaks volumes about the quality of these limited availability Eclipse wines as they have built a very strong following.
- In what seems to be a yearly trend, reds hold the edge over whites with a score of 7 to 3.
- This year was the closest race for spots 1 and 2 in the history of our tracking. Eclipse Napa Valley Stags Leap Merlot usually owns the top spot going away; however, mostly due to a Winexpert stock shortage that lasted over two months. This allowed World Vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio to close the gap to the closest margin ever.
- As was the case last year, if you combine the numbers for both 4-5 week and 6-8 Pinot Grigios, you have the most popular style of wine overall. This also continues to be the trend commercially as Pinot Grigio was the most popular style of wine sold in BC last year.
- Overall, we’ve probably witnessed the most change ever on our top ten this year. There are three wines debuting on this year’s list: Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon, Selection Argentine Malbec w/Grape Skins, and Eclipse French Nocturnal. There two others who are back after a year or two hiatus: Eclipse New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and Eclipse Barossa Valley Shiraz. The Eclipse reds numbers were likely inflated a touch by the absence of Stag’s Leap Merlot at the end of the year. The return of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is not surprising considering the popularity of comparable wines such as Oyster Bay and Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc.
- Much like the commercial wine industry, Malbec has again made a strong showing this year despite the discontinuation of the popular Selection Chilean Malbec.
- Making big inroads this year is Vintners Reserve Diablo Rojo which has steadily climbed in popularity since its debut several years ago. If you enjoy the off-dry red wine style of Apothic Red, this wine could be right up your alley.
With over 100 varieties, Winexpert has no shortage of top quality wines to make and it’s a sizeable task to try them all. Our facebook page is a great place to connect with fellow wine lovers who may want to swap a few bottles or even start a new winemaking partnership/group to share a batch of something new.