Just Fine Wine aims to provide you with the very best craft winemaking experience each and every time you come through our doors. A major part of achieving that goal is to ensure you are crafting the very best wines available on the market. This is the reason we exclusively use Winexpert products and offer you a 100% satisfaction guarantee on every Winexpert wine kit made on-premise. Just Fine Wine has over one hundred varietals and styles to choose from, sourced from the finest vineyards around the globe. With such a wide variety, we always look forward to seeing which wines you, our loyal and supportive clients, have enjoyed the most over the course of the previous calendar year. This year, after a huge influx of new clientele from Beyond The Grape, Gerry’s Vintners, and Wine Kitz Coquitlam, we were especially interested in what changes we might see to this list. We’ve crunched the numbers and here are the results*:
|Wine||2019||2018||2017||2016||2015||2014|| Times In
Top 10 **
|Selection California Gewurztraminer||10||–||–||T10||–||–||3|
|Vintners Reserve Diablo Rojo||9||7||–||–||–||–||2|
|Selection California Enigma||8||–||–||–||–||–||1|
|Selection Luna Rossa||7||5||–||4||2||3||10|
|Selection Australian Cabernet Sauvignon||T5||T8||–||–||–||–||2|
|Selection Italian Pinot Grigio||T5||T8||5||3||T3||2||11|
|Vintners Reserve Pinot Noir||4||10||–||–||–||–||2|
|Selection Argentine Malbec||3||4||4||–||–||–||3|
|Eclipse Napa Valley Stag’s Leap District Merlot||2||1||1||1||1||1||11|
|World Vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio||1||2||2||2||T3||T5||11|
*Wines are listed in descending order with the previous years’ rankings included.
**Total Number of Appearances in the Top Ten Since tracking was started in 2009 (the maximum number of appearances is 11)
“-” Not Ranked That Year
“T5” Tied for Fifth
Points of Interest:
- There has indeed been some upheaval in the whole list this year, starting with the Top 5. As predicted last year, and for the first time ever, we have a brand new Number One Wine: World Vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio! Not a big surprise considering the incredible popularity of this varietal both in the craft winemaking and commercial wine industry.
- Stag’s Leap Merlot hasn’t fallen far from it’s lofty perch and still remains, by far, our most popular red wine. Selection Argentine Malbec continues its steady performance but the rest of the top five is filled out by a few wines that climbed their way from the bottom of last year’s top ten.
- The ratio of of reds to white in the Top Ten returns to what had been normal until last year, 7:3.
- Last year saw annual mover and shaker, Vintners Reserve Diablo Rojo crack the chart. This year it was joined (with a bullet) by it’s 6-8 week counterpart Selection California Enigma. If you enjoy the off-dry (slightly sweet) wine style of Apothic Red and Bodacious, these wines are for you. “Gulpable” to say the least.
- The fluidity of the bottom half of the top ten continues as it has most years. Selection California Gewurztraminer is back after a two year hiatus. Vintners Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon has put in extremely solid numbers for the previous four years but narrowly missed this time around. Same goes for Eclipse New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.
- Perhaps the biggest surprise is the absence of Selection California Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, not cracking the chart for the first time in a decade! It’s a guarantee it will return.
- Eclipse Reds have extremely consistent numbers almost across the board and none are very far off off from joining this list.
- Vinters Reserve Pinot Noir flirted with the Top 10 for years, finally broke through in 2019, and took a big leap forward here in 2020..
With over 100 varieties, Winexpert has no shortage of top quality wines to make and it’s a sizeable task to try them all. Our facebook page is a great place to connect with fellow wine lovers who may want to swap a few bottles or even start a new winemaking partnership/group to share a batch of something new.