The calendar has rollws into another year meaning it’s time once again for our annual top ten list of the most popular wines we offer here at Just Fine Wine. This is the second full calendar year that we have had since Winexpert’s complete and total wine portfolio overhaul in Spring of 2020. A longer and larger sample size can start giving us more of an idea about trends that are developing with our client’s tastes and preferences. As usual our list remains fairly stable up top but we have some interesting developments elsewhere. Let’s get to it:
|Wine||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018||2017|| Times In
Top 10 **
|Winexpert Reserve Italian Luna Rossa||T10
|Winexpert Classic Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon||9||–||–||–||3||3||5|
|Winexpert Classic California Pinot Noir||8||5||8||4||10||–||5|
|Winexpert Classic Chilean Merlot||7||9||–||–||–||–||5|
|Winexpert Reserve Australian Cabernet Sauvignon||6||–||9||T5||T8||–||4|
|Winexpert Classic Italian Sangiovese||5||–||–||–||–||–||1|
|Winexpert Reserve Australian Traminer Riesling||4||4||5||–||–||–||4|
|Winexpert Reserve Italian Pinot Grigio||3||6||3||T5||T8||5||14|
|Winexpert Private Reserve Napa Valley Stag’s Leap District Merlot||2||2||2||2||1||1||14|
|Winexpert Classic Italian Pinot Grigio||1||1||1||1||2||2||14|
Wines are listed in descending order with the previous years’ rankings included.
**Total Number of Appearances in the Top Ten Since tracking was started in 2009 (the maximum number of appearances is 13)
“-” Not Ranked That Year
Points of Interest:
- The ratio of of reds to white in the Top Ten changes from the usual 6:4 to 7:4 due to the tie in tenth place.
- Breakdown by brand: Five 4-week Winexpert Classic; Five 6-week Winexpert Reserve; and One 8-week Winexpert Private Reserve. Again, adding to eleven due to the tenth place tie.
- Most years the sales figures display a continued stability of the top fifteen to twenty wines that we offer at Just Fine Wine. The 2022 list has probably seen the most movement in years – in terms of both movement within the top ten as well as wines jumping in/dropping off the list.
- Winexpert Classic Italian Pinot Grigio makes it four years in a row at number one and currently there is no contender in sight to dethrone it.
- Winexpert Private Reserve Stag’s Leap Merlot remains our most beloved red wine. Winexpert Reserve Australian Cabernet Sauvignon is back with a bullet this year after it slipped out of the top ten by a single batch in 2021. Returning to the top from a three year absence (and coincidentally after missing by a single batch as well in 2021) is Winexpert Classic Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon. Taking into account a narrow miss this year by Winexpert Private Reserve Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon (just three batches shy of 10th place), 2022 could be dubbed “Revenge of the Cabs”.
- Two first-timers appear in this year’s rankings: 4-week Winexpert Classic Italian Sangiovese and 6-week Winexpert Reserve Australian Chardonnay. Australian Chardonnay has flirted with the top sellers list for years. Sangiovese is the biggest mover and shaker this year and has exploded in popularity as many clients have switched into this wine after Nebbiolo was discontinued a couple of years ago. It has very quickly become our best selling 4-week red. It’s a fantastic wine at great value.
- 2021’s top ten saw the return 4-week Winexpert Classic Chilean Merlot which has improved its positioning for 2022.
- Last year, for the first time ever, Winexpert Reserve Australian Traminer Riesling was the reason that the 4-week and 6-week Pinot Grigios did not comprise the two best selling white wines. Despite Traminer Resling improving it’s sales numbers this year, 6-week Pinot Grigio improved even more and reclaimed it’s place as 2nd best selling white and restoring the Pinot Grigios as the Dynamic Duo of white wines!
- 6-8 week Italian Pinot Grigio reclaims the bronze medal position from Winexpert Reserve Argentine Malbec and is performing as consistently as any other wine over the past five years.
- Winexpert Reserve Italian Luna Rossa continues to yo-yo up and down the chart form year to year. The constant is that this big, bold Italian red does make the final cut each and every year.
- While the demand for off-dry (or slightly sweet) reds remained strong in 2021 on the back of Winexpert Classic Chilean Diablo Rojo and its 6-8 week counterpart Winexpert Reserve California Enigma, the trend of these Apothic/Bodacious style wines has ebbed a bit for 2022. Same can be said for the the 4-week and 6-week Malbecs who have had a very strong run for the last decade or more but dipped in sales this past year. All four are quality wines and are a sure bet to have a resurgence sooner rather than later.
- The annual “short run” Private Reserve wines are popular every year. 2022’s Italian Bruno (Brunello) had strong numbers but not quite strong enough to crack the top ten. Still extremely impressive for a wine only available for a handful of months.
- For anyone wondering, almost every one of our annual LE series wines (white & red) would show up in the yearly top ten. We do not include them because the release of the LE series overlaps two calendar years and they are available for by pre-order only. If you haven’t already, we highly recommend seeing what all the fuss is about. Ask us for details on this year’s LE22 vintages and any “overstock” availability. LE21 Marselan would have placed tied for 5th and LE21 Grenache Carignan would have garnered the number 3 spot.
Just Fine Wine aims to provide you with the very best craft winemaking experience each and every time you come through our doors. A major part of achieving that goal is to ensure you are crafting the very best wines available on the market. This is the reason we exclusively use Winexpert products and offer you a 100% satisfaction guarantee on every Winexpert wine kit made on-premise. Just Fine Wine has over eighty Winexpert varietals and styles to choose from, sourced from the finest vineyards around the globe.
With such a vast selection of top quality wines to make, it’s a sizeable task to try them all. Our facebook page is a great place to connect with fellow wine lovers who may want to swap a few bottles or even start a new winemaking partnership/group to share a batch of something new.