OVERVIEW: As of December 1st, 2017 Winexpert is launching a new clearing regime supported with revised and streamlined instructions across all brands of their craft wine kits. Two years of research and development resulted in this new clearing methodology. Benefits include improved clarity, brighter flavour, enhanced mouth feel and fuller aromatics to name just a …
As of December 1st, 2017 Winexpert is launching a new clearing regime supported with revised and streamlined instructions across all brands of their craft wine kits.
Two years of research and development resulted in this new clearing methodology. Benefits include improved clarity, brighter flavour, enhanced mouth feel and fuller aromatics to name just a few. The new instructions are also designed to be easier to follow and include tips for success as well as a link to a new website, www.winemakerschool.com for in-depth winemaking information.
Highlights of the new instructions are:
- 30g bentonite addition to all wine kits (excluding Après brand)
- 14 day primary fermentation and the elimination of a secondary fermentation
- Two-step clearing using kieselsol and chitosan
- Selection Amarone Style with grape skins will no longer require a chaptalization step.
Winexpert is excited to introduce this new clearing regime and instructions to ensure their products and processes are always best in class while demonstrating their ongoing commitment to the consumer winemaking industry.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Why are you making these instruction and process changes?
As the consumer made wine industry leader, we continuously review our products and practices to ensure they are best in class. Over the past two years, an exhaustive review of all of our brands revealed enhancements to our clearing process to deliver superior finished wines with greater clarity, brighter flavour, and fuller aromatics.
2. How did you decide on this new process?
Our new clearing regime stems from two years of R&D encompassing all brands and a multitude of processes and winemaking conditions. The net result is a revised clearing regime
selected on its ability to consistently and effectively deliver superior finished wine across all brands.
3. What are the benefits of this new process?
The new clearing process delivers numerous benefits including:
- Improved clarity
- Brighter flavour
- Enhanced mouth feel
- Fuller aromatics
- Reduced haze in white wines
- Improved clearing of red wines
- Improved grape skin product clearing
4. What is the impact of the larger bentonite pack?
Tests were conducted using various amounts of bentonite. Results repeatedly and conclusively showed that 30g of bentonite delivered the clearest and brightest wines. A slurry of bentonite and water attracts particulate during fermentation to assist in the clearing process without stripping colour while eliminating proteins that can give off flavours.
5. What is the significance of 14 days vs 7 day racking?
There are several benefits of using a 14 day primary fermentation with a secondaryfermentation removed, specifically:
- The yeast works harder and longer, converting more sugars into alcohol; this allows wine to more consistently meet S.G. targets and for more sediment to drop out in the early phase to support effective clearing overall.
- Wines ferment dryer to create more stable finished products that meet their alcohol target
- Stalled fermentations are significantly reduced when the full yeast load is left undisturbed to consume sugars and convert them into alcohol.
6. What is the significance of adding kieselsol/chitosan?
Exhaustive research confirmed that the combination of kieselsol and chitosan is the most reliable, effective and thorough clearing method across all brands. This powerhouse team provides a positive (Chitosan) and negative (Kieselsol) charge that work together to maximize the removal of particulate during the clearing stage.
7. I haven’t had any problems with the current method, so why change?
This new clearing method is the result of two years of R&D to ensure we deliver the highest quality products. Wines made using the new process consistently measured higher for clarity and colour, scored higher on taste tests, and had a significantly reduced margin for error (i.e. stalled fermentations) vs. wines made using the previous method.
8. I will have two different sets of instructions during the transition. What do I do?
Starting December 1st, 2017, all Winexpert wine kits will contain the new instructions with the updated process. Kits produced prior to December 1st can continue to be made with the instructions and components included.
9. What if I don’t follow the new instructions?
The previous winemaking process will still work. However, please note that all wine kits produced starting December 1st will contain only those components required for the new clearing process and therefore Winespert quality guarantee can only be honoured based on following the new instructions.
10. Who should I contact for more information?
Please contact Just Fine Wine with any questions. You can also visit www.winemakerschool.com for additional information and resources.